Windows Optimization & Security Removal
What is Windows Optimization & Security:
Threat Classification: Rogueware
Windows Optimization & Security is a malicious rogueware that is a part of the Fake Microsoft Security Essentials malware family. Windows Optimization & Security pretends to be a legitimate antivirus security program and produces fake Microsoft Security Essentials messages that your system has been infected with an Unknown/Win32 Trojan. It will then open a pop-up window and initiate a FAKE scan, which will confirm, that your computer is infected with a Trojan.Horse.Win32. Then the infection will suggest you to install the Windows Optimization & Security.
The exact text of the pop-up is:
Threat prevention solution found
Security system analysis has revealed critical file system vulnerability caused by severe malware attacks.
Risk of system files infection:
The detected vulnerability may result in unauthorized access to private information and hard drive data with a seriuos possibility of irreversible data loss and unstable PC performance. To remove the malware please run a full system scan. Press ‘OK’ to install the software necessary to initiate system files check. To complete the installation process please reboot your computer.
Once you’ve clicked on the OK button, the infection will download and install Windows Optimization & Security and restart the computer. After your computer restarts, the infection will take it over and the Windows Optimization & Security will perform a new fake scan, which will detect some more “infections”, and all this even before you can see your computer’s desktop… In order to enter your computer, you’ll have to close the Windows Optimization & Security program. Infection will continue to present fake security messages & warnings and alerts – all this just to force to pay for the purchase. Furthermore, Windows Optimization & Security will try to kill any software you try to run on your computer. These actions are basically its own protection mechanism from legitimate antimalware programs. When this infection terminates a program it will display a message similar to the following:
System component corrupted!
System reboot error has occurred due to lsass.exe system process failure.
This may be caused by severe malware infections.
Automatic restore of lsass.exe backup copy completed.
The correct system performance can not be resumed without eliminating the cause of lsass.exe corruption.
Windows Optimization & Security will also display fake security alerts and warnings like the following or similar:
Name: c:\program files\firefox\firefox.exe
Application that seems to be a key-logger is detected. System information security is at risk. It is recommended to enable the security mode and run total System scanning.
Please note that all these pop-up notifications are bogus and are used with the only purpose of making you believe that your PC is at risk and fooling you to purchase Windows Optimization & Security. This would generate income for the creators of this infection. Purchasing Windows Optimization & Security will expose your personal information to third-parties and you may also become a victim of a credit card or identity fraud.
This is a high-level, high-risk threat, and it should not be left unattended and this is the reason why you should take actions and remove it immediately, as it is a serious threat to your online identity and security.
!!! Please note that these infections could potentially bring up other malware to your computer and even cause a loss of data. Please do not underestimate such threats.
There are two ways to remove this infection. It is totally up to you to decide which way you want to go:
1. Automatic Removal Method (recommended for regular or novice users), by using a Professional Malware Removal Software.
2. Manual Removal (recommended for PC Experts or Enthusiasts).
Automatic Windows Optimization & Security Removal:
We recommend using SpyHunter Malware Security Suite.
You can download and install SpyHunter to detect Windows Optimization & Security and remove it, by clicking the button below. Once installed, SpyHunter will automatically scan and detect all threats present on your system, but in order to use it as a removal tool, you need to purchase a subscription.
SpyHunter will automatically scan and detect all threats present on your system.
Learn more about SpyHunter (EULA). You can find Install Instructions here: (LINK) SpyHunter`s free diagnosis offers free scans and detection. You can remove the detected files, processes and registry entries manually, by yourself, or to purchase the full version to perform an automatic removal and also to receive free professional help with any malware related queries by their technical support department.
Manual Windows Optimization & Security Removal:
!!! Please note: You can remove Windows Optimization & Security manually, however, you should proceed at your own risk, as any of the interventions might render your system inoperable. Therefore this manual removal method is highly recommended for PC Experts or Enthusiasts. For regular users, MalwareKillers.com recommends using SpyHunter or any other reputable security application.
1. Remove Windows Optimization & Security by restoring your system to a previous state.
1. Reboot your computer into Safe Mode with Command Prompt. To do this, turn your computer off and then back on and immediately when you see anything on the screen, start tapping the F8 key on your keyboard.
***For Windows 8:
If you are using Windows 8, you need to hold the Shift button and tap the F8 key repeatedly, this should boot you into the new advanced “recovery mode”, where you can choose the advanced repair options to show up. On the next screen, you will need to click on the Troubleshoot option, then select Advanced Options and select Windows Startup Settings. Click on the Restart button, and you should now be able to see the Advanced Boot Options screen.
2. Using the arrow keys on your keyboard, select the option “Safe Mode with Command Prompt” and press Enter on your keyboard.
3. When the command prompt loads up, type:
Windows XP: C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and press Enter
Windows Vista/7/8: C:\windows\system32\rstrui.exe and press Enter
4. System Restore should initialize, and you will be displayed a list of restore points. Try using a restore point created just before the date and time before the Your-computer-has-been-locked virus has infected your computer.
When System Restore has completed its task, start your computer in Windows normal mode, you would need to perform a scan with anti-spyware software as the infection might still be on the system.
2. Remove Windows Optimization & Security under Safe Mode or Offline using a Rescue Disc:
1. Reboot your computer by using the information above but select Safe Mode with networking. Alternatively, you can boot the computer from a Rescue CD that you need to prepare before the removal process.
2. *If you are under Safe Mode or Normal Mode, check for the following process in memory and kill it:
3. Open Registry Editor (If using Rescue CD -> load the registry hive.)
4. Check the following registry keys for any entries related to the infection and remove them, if any found:
*Default entry must be: Explorer.exe
*Default entry must be: C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,
*Default entry must be:
Windows XP: rundll32 shell32,Control_RunDLL “sysdm.cpl”
Windows Vista/7/8: SystemPropertiesPerformance.exe /pagefile
*Please be extremely careful of modifying the default entries of Shell; UserInit and AppInit as you can break your system.
5. Check and remove/modify the following entries/values:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon “Shell” = “%AppData%\[random].exe”
6. Delete any files or folders related to Windows Optimization & Security by checking the following locations:
Look for the following files or similar: