What is Mobogenie:
Threat Classification: PUP/adware
Mobogenie or nengine.dll is considered as a PUP (potentially unwanted program) and/or adware program which may display pop-up boxes, advertisements and sponsored links when browsing on the internet. However, Mobogenie is a program that basically transfers media or data between a PC and a phone. A lot people complain that they have no idea how this software was installed on their machines. Usually, this is being achieved by third-party distribution websites utilizing aggressive marketing tricks to distribute Mobogenie. That is why, most of the users end up uninstalling the product days after the installation occurred.
Mobogenie is developed by Beijing Yang Fan Jing He Information Consulting Co. It is usually bundled with other free software products and is being installed by default when the user accepts the EULA while performing an express/recommended installation of that software. The possible distribution of Mobogenie varies but is not limited to – installing third-party toolbars, free software products, downloading e-mail attachments, clicking on ads or banners etc.. During the installation process, the software modifies the registry so that it will start automatically on system startup. A scheduled task is added to the Windows Task to secure random startups during the user`s session.
!!! Please note that such software could potentially bring up other malware to your computer and even cause a loss of data. Please do not underestimate it.
There are two ways to remove this infection. It is totally up to you to decide which way you want to go:
1. Automatic Removal Method (recommended for regular or novice users) using a Professional Malware Removal Software.
2. Manual Removal (recommended for PC Experts or Enthusiasts).
Automatic Mobogenie Removal:
We recommend using SpyHunter Malware Security Suite.
You can download and install SpyHunter to detect Mobogenie and remove it, by clicking the button below. Once installed, SpyHunter will automatically scan and detect all threats present on your system, but in order to use it as a removal tool, you need to purchase a subscription.
SpyHunter will automatically scan and detect all threats present on your system.
Learn more about SpyHunter (EULA). You can find Install Instructions here: (LINK) SpyHunter`s free diagnosis offers free scans and detection. You can remove the detected files, processes and registry entries manually, by yourself, or to purchase the full version to perform an automatic removal and also to receive free professional help with any malware related queries by their technical support department.
Manual Mobogenie Removal:
!!! Please note: You can remove Mobogenie PUP manually, however, you should proceed at your own risk, as any of the interventions might render your system inoperable. Therefore this manual removal method is highly recommended for PC Experts or Enthusiasts. For regular users, MalwareKillers.com recommends using SpyHunter or any other reputable security application.
1. Remove Mobogenie Uninstall Entry:
First, you can try to go to Control panel and click on Programs and Features (Windows Vista/7/8/10) or Add/Remove Programs (Windows XP) and check the Uninstall Programs` List for any entry related to Mobogenie/Lightspark or any third-party add-ons, extensions and toolbars. If you find such, double-click on it and try to remove it. Although, please mind that you might not be able to remove it directly from the list.
*(Start -> Control Panel -> Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs) or “Win + R” keys to open “Run” and type in “control”, then hit enter.
2. Remove Mobogenie from your browser:
Go to Tools -> Internet options -> Advanced Tab and click the Reset button (make sure to select the Delete Personal Settings checkbox).
*please note that in order to save your favorites, you need to export them before resetting the browser as you will lose all personal settings.
After IE completes the operation, click the close button and then close IE in order for the changes to take effect.
Go to the following path (you can copy-paste it) and delete the entire folder “Chrome” with all the folders and files that are in it.
For Windows XP: %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\
For Windows Vista/7/8/10: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Google\
Alternatively, you can navigate to these folders by following these steps:
For Windows XP:
1. Click on “Start” in the lower-left portion of the screen.
2. Choose “Run”. 3. Type %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\ and hit Enter.
For Windows Vista/7/8/10:
1. Click on the Windows logo in the lower-left portion of the screen.
2. Type %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Google\ and hit Enter
1. At the top of the Firefox window (upper-left corner), click the Firefox button, go over to the Help sub-menu and select Troubleshooting Information.
2. Click the Reset Firefox button in the top-right corner of the Troubleshooting Information page.
3. To continue, click Reset Firefox in the confirmation window that opens.
4. Firefox will close and be reset. When it’s done, a window will list the information that was imported. Click Finish and Firefox will reopen.
3. Delete any folders or files related to Mobogenie by checking the following locations: