How to remove Counterflix Adware
What is Counterflix:
Threat Classification: Adware/PUP
According to its website, the Counterflix is a DNS Service, that claims to provide access to various geo-restricted websites for its users. Even though, that the Counterflix application might seem legit at first sight, it has been classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Product) and an adware by our malware experts as well as by the malware researchers on Internet, mainly because it appears on users’ computers without authorization and is known to track users’ activities and last but not least – when active, it starts showing intrusive ads. Our malware experts have also notified us, that the Counterflix should be considered a serious threat to users’ online identity and their computer safety, that’s why after a closer review, we’ve recommended all users, that have Counterflix on their systems to perform a full-system malware scan, using an up-to-date and reliable anti-malware software tool, just like the award-winning SpyHunter.
Usually, the Counterflix comes packed with another popular “ad-supported” freeware applications and is set to install by default, after the user agrees with the EULA and doesn’t opt-out the recommended/express/default installation method. The possible distribution of the Counterflix varies and is not limited to – suspicious download sites, 3rd party toolbars, free PDF editors, free Video editors, free converters, free Video downloaders, infected e-mail attachments, suspicious torrents etc.
The Counterflix stated, that it might save the web traffic, between you and the requested URI, which basically includes all kinds of valuable private browser data, including search terms, search result URL, browser history, email addresses, account credentials including username & password, cookies, financial information like bank accounts, credit card numbers etc. Of course, later the collected data will be either sold or shared with some other 3rd party companies, that will use it for their own marketing purposes. In general, our security experts strongly recommend all users to avoid leaving active or installed such applications and recommend to terminate and/or remove them immediately, as for them this represents a serious threat to the online identity and computer safety and security.
If you take a closer look at the Counterflix, you will noticed, that it is very similar to the Ghostify, FirstFlix, DNS Unlocker, NextFlix, Mac-Flix, GeoByPass, BrightBrowse and many other applications and services, which claimed to have some specific DNS services and were classified as PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Products) and adware.
!!! Please note that these kinds of infections could potentially bring up other malware to your computer and even cause loss of data. We strongly recommend you to not underestimate such threats.
How to remove Counterflix
There are two ways to remove this infection. It is totally up to you to decide which way you want to go:
1. Automatic Removal Method (recommended for ALL users) using a SpyHunter Malware Security Suite.
2. Manual Removal Method (recommended ONLY for PC Experts or Enthusiasts).
Remove Counterflix Automatically
We recommend using SpyHunter Malware Security Suite.
You can download and install SpyHunter to detect Counterflix and all its entries and remove it, by using the information, which we’ve obtained, just by clicking the download button below. When installed, SpyHunter will automatically initiate a full system scan and will detect and show all threats present on the system. Next, it is up to you to decide which method you will use to remove these threads. You can use either the automatic removal method or the manual removal method.
SpyHunter will automatically scan and detect all threats present on your system.
Learn more about the SpyHunter (EULA). We recommend you to read and follow the SpyHunter Installation Instructions. SpyHunter‘s free diagnosis offers unlimited free scans and detections, which you can use for the manual removal. You can go ahead and continue to remove the detected files, processes and registry entries manually, by yourself or purchase a subscription, which will allow you to use all the programs features, including the automatic thread removal feature, multiple systems install and you will receive unlimited one-on-one professional support sessions, for any malware related issue by a highly trained and experienced support technician.
Remove Counterflix Manually
!!! Please note: You can remove Counterflix manually, however, you should proceed at your own risk, as any of these interventions might render your system inoperable. Therefore the manual removal method is highly recommended ONLY for PC Experts or Enthusiasts. For regular users, MalwareKillerS.com recommends using SpyHunter.
1. Remove Counterflix from the Installed Programs List
- Open the Run dialog window by using the keyboard shortcut Win+R.
- In the newly opened Run window type appwiz.cpl and press Enter – you should see the list of programs installed on your PC.
- Select ALL entries related to Counterflix, next go ahead and sort installed programs’ list by date and select All suspicious entries near infection date (at the end) and uninstall them.
* Keep in mind, that these are active infections and you might not be able to complete the process
2. Remove Counterflix by resetting web browser settings to default
We’ve made a lot of tests and experiments and concluded, that the best way to get rid of browser extensions, toolbars, new tabs, and settings is to reset the web browser’s settings back to default. If you follow the instructions below, you will end up with a brand new browser.
Reset Internet Explorer settings to default
The guide works on all Windows versions and will reset settings for Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge back to default.
- Open the Run dialog by using Windows Key + R shortcut.
- In the Run window, type in inetcpl.cpl and hit enter.
- Internet Properties window will appear – click the Advanced tab.
- Click on the Reset… button, which is near the bottom.
- Reset Internet Explorer Settings window will appear – make sure to select Delete personal settings check box.
- After select Delete personal settings, click the Reset button.
- In Reset Internet Explorer settings window, go ahead and click the Close button for the new settings to take effect.
* Please note that in order to save your favorites, you need to export them before resetting the browser as you will lose all personal settings.
** Make sure to select Delete personal settings check box, because this option defines the removal of all customized browser settings.
*** At the end, restart Internet Explorer in order to activate the New Settings.
Reset Google Chrome settings to default
If you want to reset Google Chrome settings to default, we strongly advise you to use the Google Chrome Cleanup tool, however, the tool requires Windows 7 and above, for earlier Windows versions, proceed with manual reset – use the instructions below.
- Open the Google Chrome Menu, by clicking on the ⋮ icon, which is located on the top right side of the main Chrome window.
- When you are in the Google Chrome Menu, click on the Settings.
- A new Settings tab will open – scroll down to the bottom and click on Show advanced settings … link.
- In the newly reopened Settings tab, scroll down to the bottom and click on the Reset Settings button.
- A Reset Settings confirmation window will request a confirmation – go ahead and click the Reset button.
* In order to activate the new settings – restart the Google Chrome.
Reset Mozilla Firefox settings to default
- Open Mozilla Firefox Menu, which is located on the top right side of the main window
- When the menu opens, at the bottom search and click on the Help icon –
- In the Help sub-menu click Reset with Add-ons Disabled …
- A Restart with Add-ons Disabled window will appear – go ahead and confirm by clicking the Restart button.
- Firefox SafeMode window will appear – just continue by clicking the Refresh Firefox button.
- Finally, Refresh Firefox window will request you to confirm, that you want to reset Mozilla Firefox settings to default – go ahead and click Refresh Firefox button.
3. Remove Counterflix from all web browser shortcuts
Some applications are modifying web browser shortcuts, making the web browser load a particular web page on every start. We recommend checking your browser shortcuts by hand or just using the following application to check them for you – browser shortcuts repair tool.
If you want to manually repair these shortcuts – right-click on the shortcut using your mouse and select properties – make sure that the shortcut’s Target Line doesn’t have any additional arguments, except the actual browser location. The easiest way to solve this issue is just to remove your old shortcuts and re-create them.
4. Remove Counterflix leftovers by deleting the related files or folders in the following locations: